Media for Democracy Forum 2021
Securing Internet Freedom; Forging a New Policy Framework
Event date: Wednesday, June 30, 2021 @ 11:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
The U.S. Agency for Global Media and the National Democratic Institute are proud to present a virtual discussion on “Securing Internet Freedom – Forging a New Policy Framework.”
Authoritarian controls on internet access have increased at an unprecedented pace in the past two years, particularly under claims of preventing disinformation during the coronavirus pandemic. As more governments seek to restrict information, democracies must evaluate the impacts of these controls and develop effective policy responses.
Our panelists will examine the scope of global internet restrictions, current strategies and technology being pursued to circumvent them, and the prospects of policy solutions to mitigate the threats to free expression and government accountability.
- Sen. Rob Portman (R. Senator, Ohio; Senate Foreign Relations Committee)
- Moira Whelan (Director for Democracy & Technology, National Democratic Institute)
- Eileen Donahoe (Executive Director, Global Digital Policy Incubator, Stanford University)
- Adrian Shahbaz (Director for Technology & Freedom, Freedom House)
- Alexandra Givens (President & CEO, Center for Democracy & Technology)
- Nat Kretchun (Deputy Director, Open Technology Fund)
- Shawn Powers (Chief Strategy Officer, U.S. Agency for Global Media)
Please use #M4DF for any tweets or posts about the event. Feel free to tag @USAGMgov.