Join the Center for Democracy & Technology and New America’s Open Technology Institute for a briefing on Capitol Hill, hosted by Senator Leahy and Senator Lee, on the importance of encryption to security, privacy, and industry.
Former high-level government officials from the National Security Council, the Federal Trade Commission and the Commerce Department will join us to discuss the value of strong encryption and explain how forcing companies to weaken the security of their digital products and services would undermine American security, prosperity, and innovation.
- Opening Remarks: Kevin Bankston, Director at New America’s Open Technology Institute
- Moderator: Nuala O’Connor, President and CEO, Center for Democracy & Technology
- Julie Brill, former Commissioner, Federal Trade Commission; co-director of the Privacy and Cybersecurity practice, Hogan Lovells
- Cameron Kerry, former General Counsel and Acting Secretary of the United States Department of Commerce; Distinguished Visiting Fellow, The Brookings Institution Center for Technology and Innovation; Senior Counsel, Sidley Austin LLP
- Ari Schwartz, former Special Assistant to the President and Senior Director for Cybersecurity, National Security Council; Managing Director of Cybersecurity Services, Venable LLP