CDT Goes to RightsCon 2019!
Written by Mana Azarmi
This year RightsCon is taking place in Tunis, and CDT will have a large presence at the conference. RightsCon, which is organized by our friends at Access Now, is the can’t-miss event for the digital rights community, attracting top-level advocates, human rights experts, government officials, and leaders from the tech industry. The conference takes place next week from June 11-14. Take a look at all of the official events we’re a part of, detailed below. We hope to see you there!
Wednesday, June 12
- 2:15pm – 3:30pm: Government Hacking: Corporate Assistance or Resistance? with Greg Nojeim (CDT), Kaja Ciglic (Microsoft), Francisco Vera, (Privacy International), Amie Stepanovich (Access Now), Alissa Starzak (Cloudflare)
- 3:45pm – 5:00pm: Keeping students safe and free: creating a shared statement of concerns around social media surveillance in education with Elizabeth Laird (CDT), Natasha Duarte (CDT), Rachel Levinson-Waldman (Brennan Center)
Thursday, June 13
- 9:00-10:15am: Law Enforcement and the Internet of Things with Mana Azarmi (CDT), Jennifer Lynch (EFF), Ilia Siatitsa (Privacy International), Daniel Drewer (Europol)
- 10:30-11:45am: One Cross-Border Treaty to Rule them All: The Budapest Convention Protocol with Greg Nojeim (CDT), Markko Künnapu (Ministry of Justice), Etienne Maury (CNIL), Lani Cossette (Microsoft Brussels), Jan Penfrat (EDRI), Dennys Antonialli (InternetLab), Katitza Rodriguez (EFF)
- 12-1pm: The Use of Social Media Information in Immigration Adjudications with Mana Azarmi (CDT)
- 1:00-2:00pm: Data Laundering and Inference Peddling with Greg Nojeim (CDT)
- 3:45-5:00pm: Demystifying the Definitions, Demands and Data of “Direct Access” with Greg Nojeim (CDT), Jason Pielemeier (GNI), Laura Okkonen (Vodafone), Moira Oliver (BT), Théo Jaekel (Ericsson)
Friday June 14
- 10:30am – 11:45am: The Ghost in the Machine: Remedy for algorithmic discrimination with Emma Llansó (CDT), Amy Lehr (CSIS), Brittan Heller (ADL), Vivek Krishnamurthy (Foley Hoag LLP)
- 1-2pm: Agent Provocateur: The threat of government agents impersonating journalists with Mana Azarmi (CDT), Linda Moon (RCFP), Jack I. Lerner (UCI Law)