| || || || |
|Congressional Oversight, Hearings and Legislation Introduced after the PATRIOT Act|
| || |
Joint Inquiry report
Oversight Hearings and Questions
- Testimony of AG John Ashcroft before the Senate Committee on the Judiciary, "DOJ Oversight: Terrorism and Other Topics," June 8, 2004
- Letter from Senators Feingold, Durbin, Corzine, Wyden, Akaka, and Bingaman to Attorney General Ashcroft concerning the use of sec. 215 [pdf], March 9, 2004
- Senate Judiciary Committee hearing: "Protecting Our National Security from Terrorist Attacks: A Review of Criminal Terrorism Investigations and Prosecutions," Oct. 21, 2003
- Letters dated June 23, 2003 from Chairman Sensenbrenner and Rep. Conyers of the House Judiciary Committee presenting follow-up questions to AG Ashcroft after his testimony to the Committee in June 2003; answers requested by October 1st http://www.house.gov/judiciary_democrats/aggenhrgquestionsltr62303.pdf http://www.house.gov/judiciary_democrats/agpatriothrgquestionsltr62303.pdf
- Letter to the Attorney General from House Judiciary Chairman Sensenbrenner and Ranking Member Conyers with Questions about Implementation of the USA PATRIOT Act, April 1, 2003
- FISA Implementation Failures Report from Senators Leahy, Grassley and Specter [pdf], February 2003
- Partial DOJ reply to House Judiciary Committee questions, [pdf] July 26, 2002
- The Intelligence Resource Program of the Federation of American Scientists maintains a fairly comprehensive list of links to hearings on terrorism, homeland security and related issues
- Letter from House Judiciary Committee to Attorney General John Ashcroft, June 13, 2002, seeking detailed information on PATRIOT Act mplementation
- Senate Judiciary Comm Oversight Hearing on Counterterrorism, June 6, 2002
- Senate Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs - oversight hearing on the financial war on terrorism and implementation of the anti-money laundering provisions of the USA Patriot Act, Jan. 29, 2002
- Statement of James X. Dempsey before the House Committee on the Judiciary Forum on National Security and the Constitution, January 24, 2002
- House Judiciary Committee, Immigration Subcommittee, Dec. 19, 2001
- Senate Judiciary Committee, "DOJ Oversight: Preserving Our Freedoms While Defending Against Terrorism," four hearings:
- Nov. 28, 2001 - on secrecy issues, including eavesdropping on attorney/client communications, and military tribunals.
- Dec. 4, 2001 - on military tribunals.
- Dec. 4, 2001 - on matters relating to detentions.
- Dec. 6, 2001 - Attorney General John Ashcroft.