The Center for Democracy Technology (CDT) is seeking a Research Manager to work on issues at the intersection of technology and human rights. This is an exciting opportunity to be part of a newly created research team within CDT, informing its policy agenda and contributing to cutting edge tech policy dialogue in the U.S., EU, and around the world.
The position offers opportunities for growth, including identifying and leading research projects on new and emerging technology policy issues, and working with CDT’s networks of external academics and partners. The position is based in CDT’s Washington, DC office (with remote work currently in effect due to COVID-19).
For twenty-five years, CDT has been a leading nonprofit public interest organization, working at the cutting edge of digital rights policy. With expertise in law, technology, and policy, CDT engages in a variety of strategies to enhance civil liberties and human rights in the digital age, including advocacy, public education, and research. CDT works on legislation, participates in agency rule-makings, engages in litigation, and fosters consensus-building among public interest and private sector stakeholders. Key issue areas include free expression, privacy and data, government surveillance, cybersecurity and standards, open internet, election security, and competition.
CDT is headquartered in Washington, D.C., and collaborates closely with its partner organization, CDT Europe, which is based in Brussels. For more information, please visit our website.
- Design and implement research projects to inform the development of CDT’s policy positions and contribute to U.S. and international dialogue about key issues in technology policy
- Manage specific research projects, including coordination across CDT teams and engaging with external stakeholders
- Supervise external consultants working on CDT’s research projects
- Write concise and compelling analysis in a variety of formats, including blog posts, advocacy material, white papers, and reports
- Engage with academic and other research organizations to further CDT’s research agenda
- With the Research Director, implement CDT’s research strategy, including identification of short- and long-term research goals
- Work with the communications team to craft sharp, compelling messages for media and other audiences based on research outputs
- Represent CDT through public speaking, participation in coalition meetings, and media interviews.
- At least 3 to 5 years work experience conducting research on technology policy problems and/or online civil liberties and human rights
- An advanced degree in a relevant field (e.g. computer/information science, economics, public policy, communication policy, etc.)
- Genuine curiosity with an imaginative approach to research design and implementation
- Experience in research design and managing multiple research projects
- Expertise with statistical analysis (and relevant software), and/or qualitative data analysis
- Excellent writing skills for technical, policy, and lay audiences
- An energetic, entrepreneurial, and collaborative working style
- Knowledge of free expression concerns online such as content moderation, automated content analysis/filtering, algorithmic transparency, or intermediary liability
- Expertise in others areas of CDT’s work including privacy, surveillance, open internet issues, and cybersecurity and standards
- A critical understanding of how technology, policy, and law may have a disparate impact on individuals and communities based on race, gender, disability, income, immigration status, or other circumstances or characteristics
- Excellent public speaking skills and experience that can deliver CDT’s research and policy positions to a wide range of audiences
- Good data visualization skills
- Experience preparing successful funding proposals for research
Salary is competitive with public interest and government pay scales. CDT provides a generous benefits package that includes health care and dental coverage, a retirement plan, paid vacation, sick days, and parental leave.
Please send a cover letter and a resume to [email protected].