The Center for Democracy & Technology is seeking a full-time research and communications associate to support the Student Privacy Project. In addition to research on student privacy-related topics, the role will include planning workshops and developing messaging and other communications-oriented documents.
CDT works to develop and promote policies that protect personal privacy in an era of increased data collection and use. We advocate for better privacy laws and improved commercial practices to allow for beneficial uses of information while respecting individual rights.
CDT offers substantial autonomy as well as the opportunity to work collaboratively across a wide variety of tech policy issues.
- Provide research and writing support for the privacy and data team with a special focus on assisting the Senior Fellow, Student Privacy on projects related to education privacy issues;
- Work closely with CDT’s Communications team to edit and draft blog posts, communications documents and message finding and results related to student privacy;
- Support, maintain, and evaluate external engagement strategies and activities to reach targeted stakeholders as well as represent CDT at events;
Help plan and execute CDT events with a focus on logistics and organizational details; and
- Assist with other duties as needed including crafting funding proposals and reports, assist with outreach to external stakeholders and other administrative duties related to the efficient functioning of the Privacy and Data team.
Applicants must have:
- A knowledge of education policy, technology policy, or privacy, with at least 1-2 years of experience in these areas;
- Excellent research and writing skills;
- Attention to detail and ability to organize events and manage multiple projects;
- A passion for supporting policies and practices that improve outcomes for all students; and
- An energetic, entrepreneurial and collaborative working style.
Additional qualifications may include:
- A graduate degree in law, education, or public policy;
- Basic knowledge of internet technologies and a demonstrated interest in technology policy issues;
- Experience working in or with Congress or federal agencies, state education agencies, school districts, and charter management organizations; and
- Experience analyzing policy and legislation.
Salary is commensurate with experience and is competitive with public interest and government pay scales. CDT provides a generous benefits package that includes health care and dental coverage, a retirement plan, paid vacation, sick days, and parental leave.
Please send a cover letter and a resume to [email protected].