The Center for Democracy & Technology (CDT) is seeking a Director of Development & External Affairs to lead our fundraising efforts and organizational growth. The Director reports directly to the President/CEO and serves as an integral member of senior management. The Director will set and achieve fundraising goals, oversee CDT’s large annual fundraising event, and cultivate relationships with a diverse mix of funders that includes foundation, individual, and corporate support. The successful candidate will be passionate about CDT’s global mission and eager to forge new relationships to grow our impact.
This position offers the opportunity to play a leadership role in a respected organization engaging at the highest levels of government and public discourse on pressing issues in technology policy today. The Director works closely with CDT’s team of 30 policy and technical experts, managing a team of 3. The position is based five blocks from the White House, in CDT’s Washington, D.C. office (with remote work currently in effect due to COVID-19).
The Center for Democracy & Technology champions policies, laws, and technical designs that empower people to use technology for good – while protecting against invasive, discriminatory, and exploitative uses. For 25 years, CDT has worked to ensure that the internet empowers, emboldens, and equalizes people around the world. Today, CDT is at the center of societal debates around online speech, privacy, data and discrimination, surveillance, and other key questions about the role of technology in people’s lives.
CDT pursues legislation at the state, national, and regional level in the U.S. and E.U.; participates in agency rulemaking and other policy development processes; leads strategic litigation; builds advocacy coalitions; and promotes industry standards and practices that protect users’ civil rights and civil liberties. You can read more about our work at cdt.org.
The responsibilities of the Director of Development & External Affairs include:
- Raise the organization’s annual revenue from foundations, individuals and corporations ($6-8 million per year);
- Oversee development of grant proposals and reports used in foundation fundraising to ensure a high quality and consistent voice that reflects CDT’s core values and strategies;
- Collaborate with other CDT staff to maximize potential funding opportunities;
- Communicate with donors and supporters on a continual basis to establish effective stewardship;
- Grow our major gifts program including identification, cultivation, and solicitation of major donors;
- Coordinate fundraising special events, including CDT’s annual fundraising dinner, Tech Prom;
- Coordinate CDT’s external networks – our Advisory Council, Collaborating Attorneys Network, and Fellows Program – to strengthen participants’ engagement with CDT;
- Represent the organization publicly at events or speaking engagements;
- Staff the Board of Directors’ Outreach Committee;
- Oversee management of CRM database, including data entry and gift processing and acknowledgment;
- Work with Finance team to prepare annual revenue budgets and track progress towards goals;
- Ensure the organization’s fundraising practices comply with all financial and fiduciary best practices; and
- Perform other related duties as requested.
This position is designed for candidates with significant experience. An ideal candidate would have:
- 7-10 years experience in senior development roles;
- Experience overseeing foundation relations, corporate giving programs, and major donor stewardship;
- A demonstrated ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors and to foster long-term relationships;
- The ability to establish priorities and complete work under tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment with a demonstrated record of successful follow-through on tasks and goals;
- Strong communication skills, with the ability to communicate persuasively, both orally and in writing, about CDT’s fundraising goals and its policy priorities;
- Significant writing experience sufficient to produce business correspondence, solicitation materials, appropriate letters of acknowledgement, proposals to individuals, corporations and foundations, and reports;
- The ability to work harmoniously with other staff and CDT stakeholders, while demonstrating self-confidence, common sense, and good listening ability;
- Salesforce proficiency, as well as a general familiarity with other applications, programs, and databases, with a willingness to learn new technologies as needed;
- The ability to conceptualize, plan and implement special events;
- Commitment to CDT’s public interest mission; and
- A bachelor’s degree.
Salary is commensurate with experience and is competitive with public interest and government pay scales. CDT provides a generous benefits package that includes health care and dental coverage, a retirement plan, paid vacation, sick days, and parental leave.
Please send a cover letter and a resume to [email protected]. Deadline: Open until filled.