The Center for Democracy & Technology (CDT) is seeking a Digital Media and Communications Associate. This position plays a key role in supporting the Communications team in a dynamic 40+ person nonprofit advocacy organization based in Washington D.C.
We’re looking for a confident communicator with excellent organizational and planning skills, with a strong knowledge and understanding of current trends in digital/social media. This person will be an exceptional writer, editor, and proofreader who pays attention to detail. We seek someone with a willingness to learn and engage in both high-profile activities and essential administrative duties. The candidate should be self-motivated with an enthusiasm for tech policy, civil rights and civil liberties, who is committed to advancing CDT’s mission.
The Digital Media and Communications Associate is responsible for drafting online content and developing strategy for social media and the website and reports to CDT’s Digital Director. This position plays a crucial administrative role in support of the larger Communications team.
CDT is a 28-year-old nonprofit, nonpartisan organization that advocates to protect people’s civil rights and civil liberties in the digital age. CDT fights for tech policies and practices that protect consumers’ interests — in areas ranging from data privacy and AI to online content moderation, democracy and elections, and the use of technology in education and government services.
Our team is made up of lawyers, technologists, researchers, and communications, development, finance, and operations professionals who support CDT’s short- and long-term goals. The majority of CDT’s staff work from our Washington D.C. office, with some remote employees in the U.S. and a sister office in Brussels, Belgium.
- Generate, monitor, and track social media content; develop social media strategy, analyze key metrics, and adjust tactics as needed.
- Create, curate, and manage web content, ensuring a consistent and engaging message. Serve as institutional point of contact for website content generated by policy teams; ensure site reflects organizational priorities and workstreams and update as needed.
- Track media exposure, assist with development and management of press lists.
- Assist with data entry and database management in support of the CDT Development and External Affairs team.
- Manage and oversee CDT’s internal Style Guide; socialize updates with staff and enforce standards.
- Other duties as assigned, including administrative support for annual and ongoing communications activities such as the Tech Prom/Spring Fling galas, Tech Talk podcasts, events, newsletters, briefings, and Annual Report.
- 1-3 years experience managing social media and websites (WordPress preferred).
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Marketing, Communications, or a related field or equivalent work experience.
- Proven track record of effectively creating and sharing an organizational message with a variety of relevant audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to manage projects and juggle multiple priorities.
- Must be able to thrive in a fast-paced, multi-tasking environment.
Compensation and Benefits
The annual compensation for this position ranges from $50,000 to $65,000.
Compensation is determined on a tiered pay scale based on years of experience and the responsibilities of the role. Candidates may request guidance on where they would fall within the salary range at any point during the recruiting process. CDT provides a generous benefits package that includes health care and dental coverage for employees and dependents, a retirement plan, paid vacation, sick days, and parental leave.
This position is based in CDT’s Washington, D.C. office, which operates on a hybrid schedule with three days in office per week. Allowance for remote work or a different hybrid schedule may be considered in exceptional cases and is available if needed as a disability accommodation.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis starting on November 20, 2023. Application materials should be sent to [email protected].
The Center for Democracy & Technology is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, age, national origin, disability, marital status, or sexual orientation in any of its activities or operations. We believe that a diverse staff enables us to do better and more impactful work. Women, people of color, people with disabilities, members of LGBTQIA+ and other historically marginalized communities are strongly encouraged to apply.