The Center for Democracy & Technology (CDT) is seeking an experienced advocate to help lead our work on issues at the intersection of civil liberties, national security, surveillance and technology, as the Deputy Director of the Security & Surveillance Project.
This position offers an exciting opportunity to lead on challenging issues related to government surveillance and civil liberties and civil rights in the United States and around the world, including electronic surveillance under FISA, ECPA, and Executive Order 12333. Issue areas include preserving encryption on a global basis; advancing pro-privacy cybersecurity policy; regulating government use of emerging surveillance technologies such as facial recognition technology; resisting discriminatory surveillance of marginalized communities based on immigration status, race, religion or political views; challenging warrantless searches of cell phones at the border; and monitoring governmental responses to COVID-19 that may infringe on civil liberties and civil rights. The position is based five blocks from the White House, in CDT’s Washington, DC office (with remote work currently in effect due to COVID-19).
CDT is a nonpartisan, nonprofit technology policy advocacy organization that works to preserve privacy and other human rights online through a variety of strategies, including advocacy, public education, and research. CDT engages in legislative debates and litigation at the state, national, and regional level in the US, the EU and globally, participates in agency rulemaking and other policy development processes, domestically and globally, and works to build best practices with industry and with other civil society advocates. We work to preserve the open Internet as an enabler of individuals’ fundamental rights to privacy without unnecessary government interference.
Key Responsibilities include:
- With the Security and Surveillance Project Director, developing and executing a strategic plan with long and short and long-term advocacy goals for specific issues;
- Coordinating across CDT teams and engaging with external stakeholders;
- Providing policy and technical assistance to Congress and governmental agencies;
- Writing in a variety of formats, including blog posts, advocacy material, white papers, legislative analyses, and amicus briefs;
- Background research to support the development of CDT’s policy positions and collaboration with other staff on the production of research-based reports and articles;
- Engagement directly with technology companies to develop best practices and policy recommendations;
- Engaging with technology companies, public interest groups, academics and other stakeholders to promote dialogue and consensus building; and
- Representing CDT through public speaking, leading or participating in coalition meetings, and media interviews.
Qualifications – An ideal candidate would have:
- At least 5 years of experience in legal or policy positions relating to privacy and surveillance, civil liberties, civil rights or technology policy, with increasing levels of responsibility;
- An advanced degree in law or public policy;
- Expertise in at least one of the following areas: national security, U.S. Fourth Amendment law, E.U. or U.S. law on surveillance, or international human rights law;
- A demonstrated commitment to equity issues relating to surveillance;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including experience interacting with press;
- Experience with advocacy before Congress, federal agencies, state and local governments, European institutions, and/or US and European court systems;
- Experience in leading diverse coalitions that include civil society and corporate partners;
- Strong analytical skills and experience analyzing legislation;
- Familiarity with tech policy issues and technical concepts related to the Internet, electronic surveillance and government hacking; and
- An energetic, entrepreneurial, and collaborative working style.
Salary is competitive with public interest and government pay scales. CDT provides a generous benefits package that includes health care and dental coverage, a retirement plan, paid vacation, sick days, and parental leave.
Please send a cover letter, résumé, and a writing sample 2-8 pages long (single-spaced) to [email protected].