On 27 February, Access Now, EDRi, and the Center for Democracy & Technology (CDT) will co-host a roundtable event with UN Special Rapporteur Fionnuala Ní Aoláin and policy makers, experts, civil society and practitioners to assess the European Commission’s proposal for a Regulation to prevent the dissemination of terrorist content online.
Are there sufficient safeguards to ensure these measures address illegal terrorist content online without impinging on free expression? The discussion will address these concerns with a view to informing the Parliament’s work on the proposed Regulation.
This session will particularly delve into the proposal’s implications for users’ fundamental rights and the internet ecosystem as a whole. We will discuss the various methods proposed to prevent dissemination of terrorist content online; content referrals, removal orders, and proactive measures.
Please register by sending your RSVP to [email protected] by February 24th (Sunday) with the subject line “TERREG registration”.
Date: Wednesday, 27 February 2019
Location: ASP 5G315, European Parliament
Programme (1.5 hours):
- Welcome by MEP Birgit Sippel
- Introductory Remarks by Guillermo Beltra, Access Now
- Panel (moderated by Diego Naranjo, EDRi)
- MEP Josef Weidenholzer
- Fionnuala Ní Aoláin – Special Rapporteur on the promotion and protection of human rights and fundamental freedoms while countering terrorism
- Human rights NGO (TBD)
- Hans Das (Head of Unit, Terrorism and Radicalisation, DG Home)
- Exchange of views with speakers and participants including invited experts
- Closing Remarks (Jens-Henrik Jeppesen, CDT)
ADDITIONAL INFO HERE.