Tech Prom Primer
It’s that time of year, when a who’s who of the influential tech policy elite bring out their best charcoal grey/dark blue/black suits and hit the floors of Washington's JW Marriott for the annual CDT dinner, otherwise known here as the "Tech Prom." It is so hip that it even has its own Twitter hashtag: #techprom.
With a pageant of notable speakers, an affable and effective emcee and a room full of people who know in exquisite detail how stuff works, what doesn’t work, what could work, and what might work in the future, the tech prom is a must-attend event for every self-respecting wonk who lives and breathes tech policy.
Want to really enjoy your prom this year? Here are a few hints:
- Wear fabulous shoes, but make sure they are fabulous to your feet; the floors are hard and all of that social networking can take its toll.
- One hyphenated word: photo-booth
- One addendum to aforementioned hyphenated word: photo-booth with sashes, tiaras and crowns (it is, after all, "the prom")
- Nametags are your friend – wear one. People now magically know your name.
- #techprom and @CenDemTech
- Get there early – registration is faster, the best appetizers are still plentiful and the bartender needs something to do.
- Chat it up – we’re interested in what you do!
For more information on this year's dinner, follow this link, or just, as Blondie would say, “Call Me.”