CDT Goes to Austin: Find Us at SXSW 2016
Written by Elizabeth Seeger
In mid-March, members of the tech community will pack up their cowboy boots and their best ideas and head to Austin, Texas for the South by Southwest Interactive Festival. For the uninitiated, SXSW brings together thousands of people for five jam-packed days of presentations, panels, and parties that showcase what’s new and emerging in tech.
SXSW was a huge success for CDT in 2015, and this year we’re going even bigger. You can find us on five panels and at the four-day SXSW Trade Show. We’re partnering with the Christian Science Monitor’s Passcode, Mozilla, and the National Cyber Security Alliance on a show floor exhibit that will focus on cybersecurity. CDT will offer a “How secure are you?” section that includes an interactive cybersecurity assessment and guidance on how to be more secure online.
Last but not least, we’re holding a small party – for more information, see our SXSW events calendar below.
Hope to see you in the Lone Star State!
Friday, March 11
5:00PM – 6:00PM: Everybody Dies: What Is Your Digital Legacy?
- Featuring Alethea Lange + Facebook, Centre for Death and Society, Megan Yip
- Austin Convention Center, Room 8ABC, 531 E 4th St
Saturday, March 12
5:00-8:00PM: Tech Policy Happy Hour
- CDT, the R Street Institute, and the Christian Science Monitor’s Passcode will bring together creative minds and the best of the policy crowd for a spirited evening of conversation, networking, and refreshment. To request an invite, reach out to me at [email protected].
6:00-8:30PM: Golden Frog’s Take Back Your Internet
- Featuring Nuala O’Connor + Golden Frog
- Cooper’s Old Time Pit BBQ, 217 Congress Ave
Sunday, March 13
3:30PM – 4:30PM: Protecting the Digital You
- Featuring Nuala O’Connor
- JW Marriott, Salon 1-2, 110 E 2nd St
5:00PM – 6:00PM: The End of Online Free Expression?
- Featuring Gautam Hans + New America
- JW Marriott, Salons 1-2, 110 E 2nd St
Monday, March 14
12:30PM – 1:30PM: Ethics & Privacy in Wearable Research
- Featuring Michelle De Mooy + Fitbit
- JW Marriott, Room 201-202, 110 E 2nd St
Tuesday, March 15
12:30PM – 1:30PM: How to Fight ISIS without Breaking the Internet
- Featuring Emma Llansó + Ranking Digital Rights @ New America, Global Network Initiative, LaunchPosse, betaworks
- JW Marriott, Salon 3-4, 110 E 2nd St